Monday, September 19, 2011

Peer Mentoring and Daily Coaching

I have a person who I really enjoy working with.  We work in the same department and technically he reports to me but I value the interactions we have.  He helps me and I hope I help him as we move down our respective paths toward our goals.
One of the most important components of our relationships is an environment of high trust.  Since we both know that we have one another's best interest at heart, and we see each other as more than coworkers, we can say things to one another that would typically be uncomfortable.  Ronnie is the type of friend who motivates me to push myself to be the best I can be as a leader in the department.  We can sit together and discuss what is needed in our department.  It can be something related to ensuring that we have sufficient succession planning, whether we have developed the right level of training opportunities or how we might better help develop individuals while sharing new concepts with our team.  We collaborate in a way that have a long term benefit to each of us, to our department and to the organization.

Trust and credibility are the keys we rely on to ensure we are providing each other the support and frank feedback required for self development.

As I was looking for material to share on a topic at work, I came across this clip about peer mentoring and daily coaching.  I was impressed by it to the extent that I've posted it on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and now here.  I think it has the power to enhance relationships and provide raw awareness of how we are progressing on the things we value.  Personal accountability in a pure sense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment